The roof over your house is your first line of defense against the elements, shielding your home from rain, hail, and sun. However, it’s not immune to wear and tear—quite the opposite considering what it goes through! Identifying roof damage early on is crucial for preventing minor issues from turning into major headaches and even a full roof replacement.
We offer storm damage inspection in Katy, TX, and we’d like to go over some common causes of roof damage and why you need professional inspections to spot hidden issues.
Common Causes of Roof Damage
- Heavy rain and storms: Relentless downpours and severe storms can compromise your roof’s integrity.
- Hail: The impact of hail is a significant source of roof damage in Texas.
- UV rays and sun exposure: Prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays can weaken roofing materials over time, especially if the material is already damaged.
- Deterioration of roofing materials: Shingles, tiles, and other materials deteriorate with age, making your roof susceptible to damage.
- Weakening of structural integrity: Over time, the structure of your roof may weaken, leading to hidden vulnerabilities.
- Failure to clean gutters: Clogged gutters can lead to water pooling on the roof, causing hidden damage.
- Neglecting regular inspections: Lack of routine checks can result in undetected issues that worsen over time.
Types of Hidden Roof Damage
- Wood rot and decay: Moisture accumulation can lead to rot and decay in wooden structures.
- Weak or damaged support beams: Structural elements may become compromised, posing a hidden threat.
- Leaks and water penetration: Cracks and gaps may allow water to seep through, leading to concealed damage.
- Mold and mildew growth: Hidden moisture can create an environment conducive to mold and mildew.
- Compromised energy efficiency: Hidden damage may affect your home’s insulation, affecting energy efficiency and leading to higher heating and cooling costs.
The Importance of Professional Roof Inspections
Although we recommend you make a visual inspection of your roof after a storm to pinpoint issues like broken or shattered shingles, and make a few visual inspections throughout the year, you’ll definitely need to contact professionals like ours to handle a full roof inspection.
Our roofers have the training to identify a range of types of damage, as well as spotting hidden problems that you might not notice during a DIY inspection. They use advanced technology such as infrared imaging to look for hidden moisture.
There’s also the issue of safety: we never advise any homeowner to get up on their own roof, no matter the reason. It’s simply not safe. Roofing professionals have special safety procedures as well as training to ensure the work gets done safely, and they also have insurance covering any potential injuries and damage.
Once we’ve completed an inspection, we present detailed documentation of the damage and recommendations for repairs. This report is helpful for when dealing with your insurance company—professional inspectors will often identify storm damage that insurance assessors miss.
Don’t leave the health of your roof to chance—prioritize professional inspections for a secure and durable home.
Rely on Reign Roofing for roof damage inspections and roof damage repairs. Redefining the Roof Buying Process!